Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Love always,

Upon entering class on the morning of the performance, I had a total of sixteen notes in the pockets of my pants. Each was written to a different class member.
The performance began as a continuation of a preceding performance by Alaina Gurdak. Using her action as a jumping off point, I placed my audience in a semi-circle in front of a television playing her Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD beginning at the point in the episode where her piece had left off.
As everyone sat and watched the television I began pulling the notes out one by one and taking individuals aside to read them these letters, essentially ending an imagined romantic relationship with them. This continued until I had “broken up” with everyone excluding one class member who I had formerly dated and had been through a break up with and one student whose letter I had either forgotten or lost. When I realized this, I ended the action by sitting down next to her and asking her to explain what I had missed in the television show.

No comments:

Post a Comment