Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I filled my sketchbook.



Fear. Failure. Relationship failure. Art failure. Words to define:  relationship, dialogue, conversation, communication, romance. Observation. Things silently noticed. Male/female relationship.Clich√© becomes sincere. Using modes of performance and installation to explore ideas of domesticity, comfort, anxiety, and personal relationships, I engage in an interdisciplinary dialogue investigating the space where art and daily experience intersect. Gift giving-art metaphor.The gift. Reciprocity. Traveling generosity. Gift = Bond. Value. Emotional price. Honesty. Gray area = everyday life.Thank you notes: Generosity and gift giving. Inclination to give as a gift. Last year I ended something, took something away that my peers weren’t even aware of, pointing out my own disconnection? Collective disconnection? This time I wanted to really look into the individuals surrounding me as well as my art practice. I wanted to thank them for things that I genuinely appreciate. For it is through our interactions that conversations, relationships, and art is formed. Thinking about the formality of thank you notes, I look back at my feud with my mother over writing thank you notes after my high school graduation party. Thanking people for gifts or money , generally they all say the same thing. I wanted to actually thank people and tell them why their contribution was important to me and it was taking too long. That is what I wanted to do here with the people in this class. Public interventions. Personal history in objects. Looking more closely. What is wrong with attempting to relate to another person? What is too personal for you? “The power of reality is stronger than imagination.” I am interested in the moments where life gets in the way of artmaking. “One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.”  -Joseph Stalin. Poetry/prose created in real life. Romance –Idealized, irrational. Post interactive observations. Subjectivity. Semantics. Banality of self. “The local drives the meaning.” Relativism.

No comments:

Post a Comment